Saturday, October 4, 2008

gold dust from Kenya

Small scale gold mining in Kenya.


MIGORI, Thirty-three year-old Emily Ajwan'g, a resident of Nyatike village in western Kenya's Migori district, lost her husband to an HIV-related illness two years ago. She now works in the district's gold mines to support her five children. Diagnosed with HIV after the death of her husband, she told IRIN/PlusNews about her daily struggle to make ends meet.



“My husband died in the year 2006, after suffering from tuberculosis; he used to be a small time gold miner. When he died, he left me behind with our four children and a pregnancy, I had to look for ways to survive with my children. This place is dry most of the year and the only thing I could do to survive was to wash gold dust for the miners, who can give me something small to push me along. At times I also go into the mines to look for gold.

Source: http://www.plusnews.org/HOVReport.aspx?ReportId=80735